Just when you had given up on being a kid and finally started to grow up as you’ve been told so many times before – not one but TWO roller-coaster simulation games come into your life. What an exciting time to be alive!
I had my heart set on ordering RollerCoaster Tycoon World when it was due for release towards the end of last year, however the release date has been pushed back to ‘Early 2016’, so there’s no telling when I can get my hands on it.
But just when I had settled down over the excitement of playing a new simulation game, enter Frontier – with their announcement of Planet Coast!
How I have a few dilemmas to work out, let’s take a look at some facts:
RollerCoaster Tycoon World
- Developed by Atari – Who have links with Hasbro Interactive, the original RollerCoaster Tycoon publisher.
- Switched to the Unity engine – a proven stable and quite sexy looking game engine.
- Hold the rights to the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise.
- Developed by Frontier – Makers of RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
- Using same game engine as Elite Dangerous (Cobra).
- It looks like RCTW will be out on the market first, and already has a place holder in Steam. There’s no mention of how Planet Coaster will be distributed just yet.
I truly have no idea which one will turn out better, and to be honest – everyone wins if both do, it’s just nice to have a choice, even though I know I’ll probably end up getting both!